CfP: AMERICA’S SEMINAL RED SCARE: THE US AND THE PERCEPTION OF THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTION
Oct. 13-15, 2017 - RLS–NYC
Organized by Frank Jacob (New York) in co-operation with the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung New York Office
The Russian Revolution is usually considered a watershed between the “long” 19th and the “short” 20th century. What Eric Hobsbawm referred to as the “Age of Extremes” was consequently initiated by the events in Russia that obviously had a tremendous impact on the United States as well; especially when it comes to the U.S. perception of revolutions and communism as two determining and “dangerous” factors in world history.
A conference at the Rosa Luxemburg Stiftung’s New York Office from October 13-15, 2017 will try to shed light on the multiple perceptions of the Russian Revolution in the United States since 1917. We therefore ask scholars, whose research is focusing on one or more of the following topics, to send in a paper proposal for this event:
– The immediate perception of the Russian Revolution in the United States
– Communist revolutionaries and revolutionary communists: stigmatization and fear
– Red scares and the perception of the Russian Revolution in the United States since 1917
– The Russian Revolution and its legacy during the Cold War
– The Russian Revolution and the New Left in the United States
– Anti-communist actors/groups in the United States and the Russian Revolution
Paper proposals (max. 350 words) and a short CV are asked to be sent to Frank Jacob (firstname.lastname@example.org) by June 30, 2017. Presenters will be informed if their paper proposals have been selected in July. For questions with regard to the event, feel free to contact the organizers at any time.
This year’s Left Forum, the largest annual leftist gathering in North America, will be taking place from June 2-4 in New York City. This year’s Left Forum comes at a particularly important political moment, as different forms of right-wing nationalism take hold not just in the US but across the world. In support of alternative political visions from across North America and Europe, we’ll be hosting the following five......
STAY UP TO DATE
Sign Up for our Newsletter